After preparing the soil with friendship and service, the next phase in the disciple-making process is to PLANT seeds of spiritual truth. This is accomplished by introducing spiritual elements into our conversations, offering personal testimonies, or sharing truth-filled literature or media. Planting the seed of God’s Word can create spiritual interest if the soil of the heart is sufficiently fertile. Planting these seeds is absolutely essential if we are ever to reap a spiritual harvest:
“He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully” (2 Corinthians 9:6).
Local Church Goal – Active Literature and Media Ministry
To ensure that spiritual seeds are being planted, local churches should conduct Active Literature and Media Ministries. Active means more than an occasional emphasis on distribution of a sharing book. It means a prominent and robust free literature and media display from which church members are trained to take literature to distribute EVERY WEEK.
Here are 7 Keys to an Active Literature and Media Ministry:
- ELECT a local church publishing director or assign a personal ministries assistant to oversee the literature and media ministry.
- CREATE and MAINTAIN a prominent display of truth-sharing literature and media.
- INCLUDE an offer for Bible studies with every piece of literature or media.
- ENCOURAGE every member to daily share literature and media from the church’s display and digital media over the Internet and social networks.
- CONDUCT church-wide literature and media distribution projects in your territory with established goals for individuals, departments, Sabbath School classes, and the church.
- PROVIDE leadership support—promotion, financial support, and participation.
- PRAY for laborers and for the salvation of souls through the literature and media ministry.
“The dissemination of the truth of God is not confined to a few ordained ministers. The truth is to be scattered by all who claim to be disciples of Christ” (Christian Service, p. 68).
“Satan is now seeking to hold God’s people in a state of inactivity, to keep them from acting their part in spreading the truth, that they may at last be weighed in the balance and found wanting” (Christian Service, p. 37).
“The truth must not be muffled now. Plain statements must be made. Unvarnished truth must be spoken, in leaflets and pamphlets, and these must be scattered like the leaves of autumn.” (Testimonies for the Church, vol. 9, p. 231).
“If there is one work more important than another, it is that of getting our publications before the public, thus leading them to search the Scriptures” (Colporteur Ministry, p. 7).
“More than one thousand will soon be converted in one day, most of whom will trace their first convictions to the reading of our publications” (Evangelism, p. 693).
Spread the Word
Spread the Word will inspire and prepare you to witness for Christ like never before and give ideas for mobilizing your local church!
Motivating Members to Witness
This booklet looks into reasons and ways for witnessing to be from the heart.
Methods of Door-to-Door Visitation
This booklet looks at Christ’s example and explains various types of door-to-door visitation.
This booklet shares ways to meet people and how to have our influence be a good witness.
Planting the Seed of God’s Word, Part 1
When is the right time to introduce spiritual things?
Planting the Seed of God’s Word, Part 2
What can a local church do to plant seeds in its community?
Plant Description and Ministry Goal